Monday, April 7, 2014

Days For Girls

I'm pausing from writing about my March "doings" to write about a sew-in I attended Monday. Okay...we really need to talk about this!! It was for a charity organization called Days for Girls. This organization makes sustainable feminine hygiene kits for girls in impoverished countries. Have you heard of them? I hadn't!

OMGosh...I've never thought about how females in other countries handled their feminine cycle days.   Something we take for granted because of using disposable items AND having the money to buy them. In my own little world I've not considered what females do in impoverished areas....one thing they don't do is go to school on those days...that's a lot of education missed in one year. How can these young women ever feel empowered if they are lacking in education?

The below picture from the Days for Girls website is much better then the picture I took today and explains the kit better than I ever could.


Today we made the shields and the pads. The Shields are made using our quilter's cotton and the pads  are made using a soft flannel. 

There were seven of us today and we were able to make 18 complete kits. I think we did an awesome job for our first meeting! Alas, it does help when you have an organized facilitator...



...and most items are cut out waiting for needle and thread.

The seven of us decided to form a team and meet once a month to sew for this worthwhile cause. Now the difficult part...we need to think of a name for our team. We were informed of a team that calls themselves "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pads"....Hmmm, we need to beat that! Any suggestions?

Check out the Days for Girls website. It's all very interesting and enlightening. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy Living! Happy Quilting!


4 comments:

  1. I have heard of this before. But not of anyone who has made them. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this organization, but I had come across reusable feminine hygiene products before. Like you, I never gave much thought about how the girls/ladies in impoverished countries deal with this month to month. I will have to take a look at their website. As for a name for your team, I have no ideas.....
    Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome way to Sew to Serve! Congrats on a successful, productive first meeting! I wish I could come up with a creative name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome. I enjoy reading what you have going on in your world. Comments will be posted after moderation.